Monday, July 7, 2008

Musings from the Wilderness

"The LORD knows the way through the wilderness,
all I have to do is follow."


Remember that song? It was one of the choruses we used to sing when I was a kid. We don't sing it that much any more but it's still a good one because it reminds us that when we don't know the way, God does and our only responsibility is to follow.

My wife reminded me of that today.



We were having devotions and were talking about a tough decision that we are facing. I told her I wished I knew what to do and she gave me that wise, wifey look and quipped, "The LORD knows the way through the wilderness!"

My immediate response was to express how comforted I was by the fact that the LORD knows the way through the wilderness. It took a real load off my mind to realize that if the LORD ever has problems negotiating His way through the wilderness, my mind can rest easy, He knows the way! But I was still a little worried that I didn't know the way through the wilderness!



Sometimes, it seems like our problem isn't so much that we're unsure God knows the way as it is that we're a little concerned He may not be in a sharing mood! Sometimes, it feels like He is just letting us wander around out there in the land of indecision (better known as the wilderness)!



And then, at times, it seems like I can hear a conspiratory whisper, "Why don't you do what you think is best, Mark?"



Now, I know that voice! I quickly remind myself that my crystal ball is cracked and cloudy and even if I should one day find it to be working, God has already explained to me that tomorrow isn't my territory. He has exclusive rights on all my tomorrows and He alone knows what they hold. So, I know God isn't asking my opinion! He doesn't need me exercising my initiative, even based on the sum total of my vast experience! There's enough trouble in the world already!



Still, what should I do? I can't just camp out here, LORD! So, I find myself looking at my options or at least, looking at all the ones I can think of! Should I do this? What about that? If I do that, maybe this will happen... Or, if I do this, maybe that will happen...

In the middle of my hot, sandy, rocky wilderness, as I cast about for direction, as I cry out again and again, my voice echoes back to me...



"What should I do, LORD?"

In a brief quietness, between all the shouting, He whispers.




"Wait."




Darn. I hate it when He does that! I guess I ought to go ahead and set up camp. By the way, remind me to keep a look out for either a cloud or a pillar of fire...

3 comments:

Plant Lady said...

Pastor Mark,

I have had and still have wilderness experiences. It is not fun, but the rewards of the journey (the growth and closeness to God while there)far outweighs the desperation that is felt while on the journey!

You and Dorothy are in our prayers!
God's most richest blessings to you!

Plant Lady and the Mr.

Mar said...

You have been TAGGED again,,,,,,,,

AlbertPujolsfan said...

Hey Uncle Mark,
cool blog. You will have to visit my blog sometime soon